But the recognition given to the company for their ethical business practices mean the most to Michael and Designs By Sundown. The South Metro Denver Chamber of Commerce named Designs By Sundown their 2008 Small Business of the Year, a recognition of the company’s perseverance, innovation, and community. Designs by Sundown also has won the Colorado Ethics in Business Award (CEBA) presented by The University of Denver Daniels College of Business, in conjunction with ColoradoBiz magazine and the Samaritan Institute. Finally, the company has received the Better Business Bureau Longevity Award, given to a BBB Accredited Business consistently rated as “A+” for 20+ years.
Designs By Sundown has earned 60 Excellence in Landscape awards from the Associated Landscape Contractors of Colorado (ALCC), more than any other landscape company in the state over the past decade. The company also has competed against the leading national landscape firms to win 31 Awards of Excellence, including 12 Grand Awards from the National Association of Landscape Professionals (NALP). Most Recently, Designs By Sundown has won ELITE (Elevating the landscape industry through excellence) awards for three straight years for having THE best landscape project in the state.
Here are a few of the awards and achievements won by Designs By Sundown:
- Parade of Homes winner for four consecutive years, 1998-2001, presented by the Home Builders Association (HBA).
- Winner of two Colorado Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects (ALSA) awards.
- Voted “Top of the Rocky” best landscape company in 2006 by the Rocky Mountain News.
- Voted “Best Landscape Design Team” in 2008 by the readers of Colorado Homes & Lifestyles.
- One of only eight contractors in the nation invited to participate on Rain Bird Corporation’s Select Contractors’ Advisory Board.
- Voted “Readers Choice, Best of the Best” in 2002 and 2005 by Colorado Community Newspapers.
- Two CARE (Colorado Award for Remodeling Excellence) awards in 2005 presented by the Home Builders Association.
- Won the popular HGTV reality series, “Landscapers’ Challenge,” beating out two prominent Denver landscape firms; consulted on HGTV programs, “What You Get for the Money” and “How Much is My House Worth?”
- Properties featured in local and national magazines such as: Sunset, Housetrends, Better Homes and Gardens, American Nurseryman, Architecture & Design of the West, Builder+Architect, Distinctive Landscape Journal, luxe, and Home By Design.
- Landscapes selected for numerous garden tours within the community.